Using your InterLibrary Loan Account
- Log in to your account.
- Click on Checked Out Items to the left on the screen. The titles and transaction numbers (TNs) will appear.
- Click on the TN for an item you want to renew. A brief message will appear on the top of the screen notifying you whether or not a renewal is possible. The lending library determines the due date and whether or not items may be renewed.
Loan Periods and Restrictions
Due dates are set by the lending library. The book band placed on your item provides the needed information. When picking up your item at the Ask Here Desk, please check the paper band on the item and note the due date. Please do not remove the paper band.
Some libraries allow longer lending periods and may not allow renewals.
You have a 5-day window (3 days before and 2 days after the due date) to request a renewal. We will email you the lending library’s response. If your request is denied, you will need to return the item by the original due date. You may then place another request in the ILL system for the same item from another library.
ILL User Responsibilities
You are responsible as an ILL user for taking good care of all the material you borrow. Your responsibility starts at the time you sign for the item at the Ask Here Desk until the item is returned. If material is damaged or lost, you must pay for repair, replacement and/or processing fees to the lending library.
If a lending library recalls an item, you should return it immediately.
Please DO NOT return ILL items to the outside book drop. Please return them to the Ask Here Desk.
What Can Be Requested?
- Books (exceptions: Items owned by Cowles Library, owned by the Law Library, and Reserve items)
- Photocopies of Journal Articles
- Photocopies of Book Chapters
- Music Scores
- Microfilm and Microfiche
- Theses and Dissertations
- Media Materials (including DVDs, VHS tapes, and audio CDs)
Media requests often take longer and are difficult to obtain. Many lending libraries DO NOT LOAN Media.
The time required to receive requested material can vary from a few days to several weeks. Once a request has been processed and forwarded to a lender, the speed of delivery is out of our hands. There are many variables that affect the prompt delivery of your request, including the type of delivery service, hardware and software malfunctions, holidays, staff shortages or illnesses, and non-circulating status.
We try to select lenders that are prompt, accurate, and geographically close to Drake University, but sometimes this is not possible.
You can speed the process up for us by ensuring that your ILL request is completely and accurately filled out.
If you have a short deadline, please contact the ILL office directly during work hours (8 am-4:30 pm, M-F), either by phone (515-271-3989) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Many lending libraries provide us with electronic copies of journal articles to fill your requests. If so, you will receive an email that your journal request has arrived. You can access your article(s) by logging into your ILL account and selecting “Electronically Received Articles” from the menu.
These articles are in Adobe (PDF) format and are available to you 24/7 for 45 days only. If you wish to preserve the article longer, please save the article to another source for safekeeping.
Returning ILL Items
Please return all ILL items directly to the Ask Here Desk, NOT the outside book drop.
Be sure the ILL band has not been removed from the item. Materials are processed by the ILL staff from the lending libraries and bands placed on each item. The bands help staff distinguish ILL items from Cowles Library material. If bands are removed, ILL items could be lost or inadvertently mixed into the Cowles collection.
The following are reasons for cancelling an ILL request:
- Book or media (available in the Cowles or Law Library collection check the electronic catalog)
- Periodical (available in Cowles or Law Library collection in print or electronic check the Journals list)
- Duplicate request submitted by you.
- Non-circulating material at lending library
- Language of article other than English
- Book too new for lending
- Article too new and not yet published in the journal
If one of your requests is cancelled, one of the above reasons may be given in an email from the ILL office. Please read the email carefully. Instructions for how to locate an item are sometimes included in the email.
Cowles InterLibrary Loan provides materials for Drake faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students, except for those affiliated with the Drake Law School.