Request a Recall
Placing a Hold in the Catalog
You may now place a Hold/Recall on checked out items through the online catalog. If an item is checked out, a “Request a Hold/Recall” button will appear next to the catalog listing. After you click this link, enter your Drake ID and password–and an optional “Not needed after” date–and submit the request. We’ll notify the person who currently has the item checked out that it needs to be returned.
You can also place a hold by visiting the Ask Here Desk, or by contacting us at email@example.com or 515-271-2111.
- All books can be used for at least three weeks before being subject to a recall. The only exception are items needed for a course reserve, which are subject to immediate recall.
- When an item is recalled, the recall due date overrides the original due date.
- All Drake-affiliated users will be blocked from further check outs if they have two or more overdue recalled items.
- Special users will be blocked if they have one overdue recalled item.
Failure to read your email is not a valid excuse for the delayed return of recalled items.
Faculty & staff who expect to be absent for extended periods of time (sabbaticals, FMLA, break periods, vacations, etc.) should make arrangements to ensure that library materials can be located and returned to Cowles Library during their absence.
If you receive a recall notice for an item you have checked out, please return the item to the library promptly.
Picking up your hold
When the recalled item has been returned, you will be notified by email that the item is now available for pickup. We will hold the item at the Payments Desk for 7 days.
If you do not pick up your held item within the 7-day hold period:
- the hold will be removed from your account;
- the item will be returned to the shelf or offered to the next patron waiting for the item.
If you receive a Hold Pickup email and you no longer need/want the item, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-271-2111 so that we may make the item available to others as soon as possible.