Periodicals and Newspapers
Cowles Library subscribes to many journals, both in print and online. Print journals are located on the ground floor on the west side. The library subscribes to some journals on microfilm as well. Journals may not be checked out.
Cowles Library subscribes to numerous newspapers, foreign language papers and magazines. Paper issues of most newspapers are retained for three months and then recycled. Current issues of the following titles are kept in the newspaper shelving on the west side of the ground floor outside the Speaking Studio. Titles not found below may be available online. Visit the Information Desk or Ask a Librarian if you need help locating online newspapers.
- Chicago Tribune (online full-text, 1849-1987)
- Chronicle of Higher Education (online full-text, 1999-present)
- Des Moines Business Record
- Des Moines Register (online full-text, 2002-present)
- New York Times (online full-text, 1979-present)
- Wall St. Journal (1984-present)
Paper issues of The Des Moines Register are replaced by microfilm and kept permanently. Visit the Information Desk for help with microfilm.
The Times-Delphic, Drake’s student newspaper, is available online. In addition, the Library has digitized many of the back issues of The Times-Delphic, and our TD Index search allows you to search back issues by subject or article title.