Computer Use Policy
Cowles Library Computer Use Policy
The Drake University Cowles Library provides access to computing resources primarily to faculty, staff, and students in support of research, administrative, instructional, and intellectual pursuits. As a secondary service, these computing resources are provided to the general community and affiliates of Drake University. As a Government Documents Depository library, the Cowles Library is also obligated by law to provide public access to certain files and internet resources.
In using library workstations, all users are bound by this acceptable use policy, other applicable computer and security policies, and applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Use of Workstations
- Library computer workstations require authentication through a unique User ID and password. Security policy prohibits the sharing of these User IDs and passwords with any other individual.
- Any person using a computer workstation may be asked by library personnel to show their Drake ID card or Guest ID card. Guests are welcome to use workstations, however they may be asked to remit a workstation based on library capacity. The primary usage of library computer workstations is the support of research, administrative, instructional, and intellectual pursuits by Drake University faculty, staff and students.
- Use of Computer Software and Hardware
- Users shall not conduct malicious, illegal, or criminal activities, attempt to damage computer equipment, or alter the configuration of software while using library or university computer resources.
- Personal Conduct
- Users shall not engage in behavior considered disruptive to others. Those found to be engaging in disruptive behavior such as loud or threatening conduct or other interference with the primary use of library resources may be asked to leave and/or denied continued access to library facilities.
Guest Wireless Access
Drake Technology Services (DTS) provides short-term wireless Internet access to unaffiliated individuals who have their own portable device. Connect your device to the DUGuest network and follow the instructions. You will receive your authentication code either by email or SMS to your mobile phone. A basic walk though of the process is available here.